Monday, March 19, 2007

Not My House--Yet

Kevin and I found some pictures I took in August of the house I've been talking about. I haven't seen it since November (expect driving by it when Nick and I were in Ely last month.) I'm in love with it all over again, which is not good. I need to back off and not be so emotionally attached. I need to stop saying "my house." Even if it does feel like my house, and I can't imagine anyone else living in it.

I tried to call the realtor today and somehow ended up dialing a different realty office. I strongly believe there are no mistakes in the universe. I spoke to the woman I accidently dialed. She was very nice, even though she knew I couldn't hire her after letting the other realtor show us houses for a year she gave me a good twenty minutes of her time.

Anyway, this woman, Cherry, said that she knew the house and the people who own it. They are difficult, she said. If they have the idea that their house is worth a certain amount, it will be hard to negotiate them down. She said was shocked at what they are asking. She also said that in the seven months it's been on the market, not one of her clients has wanted to see it. As proof that the amazing wonder-yard is totally private, she had no clue at all it was back there. When I mentioned it, she said "maybe we aren't talking about the same house."

So tomorrow I'm calling our realtor to arrange a verbal offer, so that we can sign the papers when we're up there in two weeks. We'll offer $120,000 and I'm going to have faith that if they won't realize how fair that offer is, for a house they would have been happy to sell for $80,000 just two years ago, then it isn't my house after all.

This is so nerve wracking.

I also went to the dentist today, because one of my temporary caps fell off. I'm having the permanent ones put in on Monday next week, before we move. Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to get thee to the dentist. The world is in obvious turmoil. Who knows what services will be available in a post Peak Oil world? When I think about it, visions of Tom Hanks and an ice skate give me the heebie jeebies. Better to go into the great unknown with a healthy mouth and good oral hygine habits. Floss, baby. A lot. (But not if you have temporary crowns that might just pop right off.)

No comments: