Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Home

There is nothing quite like coming home after a trip. It just feels so good. (Especially if you have a husband like mine, who treats you to a spotless home when you get there!)

The Partners class was as interesting as it was last month. This month the class focused on education, specifically the IEP process. It really brought up a lot of stuff for me that I hadn't thought of in a really long time. It took me to that place, you know, where you feel completely exposed and vulnerable. I hate that place.

I noticed something that I think is pretty interesting. Nearly everyone in my class is overweight, several by quite a lot. There is one woman who is real thin, and it turns out she had gastric bypass surgery. They showed pictures of last years class, and it was the same thing. Funny though, none of the presenters are heavy. They're typically about 10 years past their class experience, they're children are grown. Could it be that raising a child with a disability is stressful and that we all need lots of ice cream and chocolate at the end of the day? Yeah, I'd say so. Noticing that has really changed my perspective. I need a better stress reliever than food.

On a lighter note (HA!), I came home with my van jam packed with great vintage stuff for my shop. Come on by and check it out. Please. I gotta sell some of this stuff! My house looks like the coolest thrift store on the planet exploded all over it.

Plus, I really, really, really don't want to go back to substituting. Really bad.

1 comment:

seed said...

Hi Shaunta,

I can hardly wait to see your new finds.

I'm finding home schooling rewarding in many ways but equally frustrating.

I hope you have more sewing patterns soon.

Caroline in Australia