Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Inspiration

I feel inspired today. I don't really know why. I just feel today like anything is possible. It's a good place to be.

I've been feeling very guilty about taking a monthly trip to Las Vegas to shop for my Etsy store after my class is done. In my current state of inspiration, I came up with something that I think will offset the environmental damage of that 500 mile round trip. We have no recycling up here in the mountains. That sounds so backward, like saying we have no indoor toilets or that we bathe in the crick. There are recycling centers in Las Vegas that will take household recycling and actually pay you for it.

So I am collecting our recyclables and I'll be trucking them down with us every month. Is that extreme? I think maybe a little. I'm hoping that it doesn't stink, because once we're about halfway there the heat kicks in. They'll pay me 60 cents a pound for cans, 10 cents a pound for plastic and 4 cents a pound for paper and cardboard. I forgot to ask about glass.

Kevin and I had a big old talk the other night that was instigated by my announcement that I was going to start saving our trash and load it up in our van once a month. He pointed out that nothing we do is without impact. My answer is that it isn't supposed to be. We're supposed to make an impact, otherwise why are we here? For whatever reason, humans developed with the ability to think and invent and we are definitely supposed to use that ability, IMO. But we are also supposed to be responsible and try to make our impact as positive as possible. Maybe we'll be the only recyclers in White Pine County. That's okay. Maybe we'll be an inspiration to someone else to follow our lead.

I've been writing, too. I think that's a direct contributor to my feeling very inspired right now. I'm working on a short story that I want to submit to Ellora's Cave tonight. Yes, I am outing myself as a writer of spicy stories. Spicy Spice, that's me. I have another idea in my head fully formed, which is the best way for ideas to come. I have a hard time writing when I only have the beginning and I'm just wondering around trying to figure out the end. Have I ever mentioned that I read the end of books first? Yeah. I do. I'm a spicy-story-writing-end-of-the-book-reader. I'm not scared to admit it.

My seedlings are doing so well. I'm really excited about my garden. We can't plant out here until mid-June for things that can't handle a frost. I think I can put in peas and cabbage outside the first of June. I'm heading to the nursery when I go to Las Vegas in a couple of weeks. I want some berries and apple trees.

No comments: