Saturday, May 3, 2008

Independence Days

Sharon Astyk has a really fantastic challenge going on at her blog.

The goal, the independence she speaks of, is to free yourself as much as possible from agribusiness. This really hits home for me, because pretty much everything my family eats is trucked in from at least 250 miles away. If someone decided that diesel had just gotten too expensive to continue delivery groceries to our rinky dink little town--we'd be seriously sunk.

Because I live in such a tiny community with very little access to local food, I'm going to have to do my best to put things up and grow stuff myself.

So here are some of my plans for the next week:

1. Prepare a bed for cold weather direct seed veggies like peas and lettuce so that I can plant them in a couple of weeks.

2. Make a list of the rest of the seeds/transplants/trees/equipment I need to buy this season so that I can pick them up when I go to Las Vegas on the 15th.


3. Start some extra seedlings for my neighbor and for Candice and Roger.

4. Get some books together to donate to the library sale.

5. I have a goal to not eat out this week. I can do it. I know I can.

6. If there is anything on sale, or on the clearance produce table, at my grocery store this week that I can buy in bulk and process, then do that.

7. Write everyday. I know this might not seem like a prep thing, but in a round about way, it is. There are online publishers that have stables of writers, which would be a good, steady post-peak income if I can find the work.

So that should do it for this weeks goals. I'll update next Friday and have a new list!

No comments: