Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Independance Days Update

Man, I'm a really terrible blogger. I'm sorry I've been missing in action for so long. No wonder only a dozen people read this thing! lol

I am anxiously awaiting warmth. We had one freak weekend (not this weekend, last) that included three days of 80 to 90 degree weather. I got all excited. I dug up a bed for my peas, and set up my outdoor furniture. The day after the last day of 90 degree weather it snowed. Yes, it snowed and was 29 degrees for an overnight low. That's a 60 degree difference. Unbelievable. And it's been cold ever since. So my peas didn't make it to their new home.

It's supposed to warm up some today, and it's been raining, so the ground is sort of loosened up. I'm going to try to get out and dig up some more today.

Plant Something: Like I said, I dug up a bed for my peas. It's still too unpredictable to plant out until mid-June. It snowed on the last day of school last year! I also planned out my raised beds, which I hope to put in next week. I ordered my warm-weather seeds from a company that specializes in high desert gardens.

Harvested: Nothing.

Preserved: Since I harvested nothing, I had nothing to preserve. I want to start watching my grocery store for the produce that they mark down sometimes, keeping an eye out for anything I can preserve. I am also WAY TOO excited about hearing that there will be a farmer's market here from August to October. I'm planning on participating. And also buying up the goodies to preserve.

Stored: Sadly, nothing. I have these huge plans, but they aren't panning out as well as I'd like them to.

Managed: We started a new program for paying off our debt, which basically is just putting an extra $50 a week toward our card with the lowest principal. When that one is paid off (in July) we'll roll over that $50 a week, plus the monthly payment to that card over to the next card. And so on and so on. In this way, we should be completely out of debt, including out car, in about two years. I hope that the economy holds out that long. I'm not optimistic.

Prepped: See the planted section. I also made a batch of laundry detergent. I bought some things so that I can start really learning how to sew. I am writing a short story, in the hopes of having it published.

Cooked Something New: I made a pork roast in my crock pot. Okay, that's not really a big deal, but I'd never made one before and it was AMAZING. We made pulled pork barbeque sandwiches out of it with coleslaw. Holy cow.

Advocate for Local Food Systems: I've been spreading the word about the Farmer's Market. And planning for it. I want to have some information to hand out to people who come to my booth. I need to start planning what I'm going to offer. We can have what we grow, plus seedlings, seeds, and food. I might order some bulk seeds from Seed Savers and offer them for use next year. I also plan on offering herb seedlings that can be grown indoors until next summer. And bread. I've also been talking up my plan to have chickens.

Reduced Waste: We are still saving our recycling, but not as diligently as I'd like. Need to step that one up.

Learned a Skill: I learned how to line a crocheted wallet. Go me!

I've decided to add a new category that is important to me. Building health. Not just for me, but for my family. I think that it's going to be very important in the coming years to be as mentally, physically and emotionally healthy as possible. So:

Building Health: I lost four pounds this week. Nice, eh? Yeah. I bought some multi-vitamins that were on sale at the local grocery store half off. Adrienne has been having leg cramps and has also been really tired lately. It finally occurred to me that she might be anemic, like me. So vitamins for her, and for everyone for good measure. I ordered some medicinal herb seeds. I also reread SuperFoods, which is fascinating to me.

No comments: