Friday, January 11, 2008

Freedom

Yesterday and today I'm substituting for the band teacher, who teaches at both the middle and high school. This is one of my favorite jobs to take, because the kids are generally happy to be there and I love listening to them play.

At the middle school, the teacher left a video that the kids were to start watching yesterday and finish today. It is mind-numbingly boring, the only redemption being the laugh-factor of seeing the 1980s clothes and hair-styles. The kids were bored, and since I had to watch the damn thing three times, I was too. The last period at the middle school has the most advanced students, the Symphonic Band. I gave them the last ten minutes of the period to do what they wanted, and I was struck by what they wanted to do.

About half the kids gathered around the piano and one girl showed the others how to play something. A couple of the percussionists moved away to the xylophone and bass drum and spent a few minutes getting the melody down.

The other half of the kids gathered on the other side of the room and pulled out their M3P players and shared songs, one person getting one headphone and one the other.

Clearly these kids love music. What would their world be like if they were allowed to spend more than 10 minutes on the day when they have a sub exploring it in their own way?

At the high school, while talking to a couple of girls who were supposed to be practicing their ensemble pieces, I found out that one is the district representative for the Obama campaign for our little town. She asked if she could use her cell phone to patch into a conference call for district representatives. This kid is amazing. She isn't old enough to vote. She asked me if I was going to caucus, she explained to me in clear terms why she thought I should vote for Obama. She picked up her flute and played a beautiful piece of music.

2 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

Its refreshing to hear of young people who are actually going to classes because they love the subject. And politics? Thats amazing. What a contrast to the kids are hanging in the street and getting into trouble.

Honi said...

sounds like the teacher learned something extra too...