Tuesday, January 8, 2008

mmmmmm My Soup

I bought a copy of The SuperfoodsRX Diet with a Christmas gift certificate from Kevin's parents. I'm really glad they gave it to me, because if they hadn't I wouldn't have bought this book until it went down in price. It's fantastic.

After reading the book I decided to make some soup today. The author recommends a Soup and Salad Wednesday (where one meal, lunch or dinner, is a soup and salad.) So here's what I came up with...I adapted it from the Dairy Hollow House Soup and Bread Cookbook by Crescent Dragonwagon.

Shaunta's Amazing Cabbage Soup

In a large pot, bring to a boil 8 cups of water and 3 cups of pureed tomatoes (I used canned, you could make your own if you're more ambitious than me) and four teaspoons beef broth granules.

While that's coming to a boil, put three chopped white onions in a pan sprayed with Pam and heated to medium. Saute for a couple of minutes, raise heat to medium-high and cook three minutes, then lower to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for thirty minutes.

When the soup is boiling, add a Tablespoon each of Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper and half a head of green cabbage, shredded.

In twenty minutes add dried parsley, basil and celery salt to taste.

When the onions are done (they should be soft and very sweet), add them to the pot.

Yum yum!

I know that Cabbage Soup sounds incredibly diet-y. I promise this soup is really, really rich and good. I used Cabbage because it was the only fresh vegetable I had in the house and I didn't want to use frozen. I'm glad I did, because the cabbage really gave the broth an amazing flavor.

Plus a whole bowl has less than 100 calories.

3 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

You know? That actually does sound good!

Honi said...

that soup sounds good.. will have to check that book out also..

KamaLee said...

I love soup, bread, and the cookbook you mention.

Crescent Dragonwagon has a new cookbook out too which I am thoroughly enjoying: The Cornbread Gospels. Cooking my way through it. Each cornbread better than the last and I like her writing too.