Sunday, January 6, 2008

Money: The Plan

We have a plan. See, our income comes in three chunks. Kevin's pay, my pay and child support from my ex-husband. So the plan is to live on Kevin's pay: pay all of our living expenses like rent, power, phone, food and gas. Then we'll pay all of our debt payments like credit cards, my student loan and the car payment, out of my check with whatever is left (three or four hundred at least, maybe more depending on how many days of work I get in a month), will be used to pay down the debt faster. The child support will stay in the bank as savings. Once our savings account has $5,000 in it, we'll start putting all that money toward debt as well.

The way I figure it, by the end of the year we'll have paid about $12,000 toward debt and we'll have $5,000 in savings. That should pay everything off but the car and my student loan. Six more months and we should have those paid off as well.

My only prayer is that the economy holds on long enough for us to follow through with this plan. Just one year.

We're in the middle of a huge storm. All of our TV stations come from Salt Lake City where they're getting it particularly bad and the new keeps calling it "the storm of the century." I wouldn't care, I've been looking forward to some weather after so long of living where HOT was the only weather we ever got. Only problem is that my kids are on the other side of a closed pass. Snow tires or chains required. I haven't seen my kids in almost two weeks. Yesterday I talked to Ruby on the phone and she asked me if she could come home. I feel like I'm about to get out there with a snow shovel and make an open road myself. This sucks.

No comments: