Saturday, February 2, 2008

Something New

There is something incredibly satisfying about turning something into something else. Take the 100% merino wool pumpkin-colored turtleneck sweater I bought at the local thrift store for $1.50. It was just a basic Charter Club size medium. I haven't worn a medium since high school, and Adrienne won't wear wool or a turtleneck.

Why did I buy it, then? For the wool. I washed it in hot water with a pair of jeans and then gave it a good dry. Putting a wool sweater in hot water feels very subversive...like anarchy or rebellion or something. What came out was a much smaller sweater that had felted into a nice wool fabric that could be cut without unraveling.

So now I had a couple yards of this pretty pumpkin wool felt. And I recently bought the Sew Everything Workbook by Diana Rupp (which is a way way cool book, by the way, if you're wanting to learn to sew.) I used her Tokyo Tie Bag pattern, which actually required me to pull out the brown wrapping paper and draw my own pattern. And viola.



The best part was that I was able to cut the pattern from the sleeves, so I still have the front and back of the sweater for something else (I have no idea what yet.) I lined it with this hot pink and white fake Batik fabric I bought for a quarter at the same thrift store a few weeks ago. I had to sew it by hand, but I think I might have anyway because the layers of felted wool were so thick. It took me maybe two hours to complete.

Something magical happens to wool when you felt it. It stops being itchy and turns into this kitten soft stuff that you just want to pet and pet. I'm totally in love with my new purse! It's small without being too precious and the bright lining just peeks out.

I ordered a used Kenmore sewing machine on eBay. I'm so excited. If only the man I bought it from would send me an invoice...it's been three days.

No comments: