Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Hoo-Hoo Bird Lives Outside My Window

A couple of weeks ago, I was going out to my car and was nearly dive-bombed by a hummingbird. The little flash of green dashed back and forth from the elm tree in our front yard to a corner of my house three times in thirty seconds.

So I went to see what she was up to. And low and behold, I found this nest:





It's hard to tell in the picture, but that little thing is about the size of half a chicken egg shell. The white stuff is, I kid you not, spider webs. What better use could there possibly be for a the wire going to our satellite dish? That smart little bird built her nest around the wire. Amazing.

So at first she was hardly ever there. Ruby was obsessed with checking. She's stand in the window and watch, and watch, until the little flash of green bird flew by. She's scream at me that the hoo-hoo bird was in it's nest. Man the stations! Anyway. Ruby loves this little hoo-hoo bird.

So yesterday, my husband braved the step-ladder to see if the reason why our hoo-hoo bird was hanging around more was because she had some eggs in her nest:



For the first time, I cursed the large size of my camera. I couldn't get a picture of the inside of the nest and neither of us is tall enough to see inside from the ladder. So Kevin whipped out his Cherry Chocolate and snapped a picture of the two most perfect miniature eggs you've ever seen.

This is the best I could do with my big ol' Nikon. If you look carefully you can see one of the eggs.



So, how cool is that?

No comments: