Monday, June 9, 2008

Independance Days Update

Late again. Sorry!

1. Plant something: Kevin built me a raised beds, and I filled five discarded tires with soil. I've planted cabbage, carrots, brussels sprouts, jalapenos, broccoli, two kids of radishes, beets, two kids of lettuce, and a bunch of culinary and medicinal herbs. Also cantaloupe and watermelon in the tires. My next door neighbor has offered me a dozen strawberry plants which will go in the other three tires. Woo!

2. Harvest something: Not yet.

3. Preserve something: Not yet.

4. Prep something: I bought a huge box of plant pots from the local thrift store for a dollar. I cleaned out the winter clothes from the closets and dressers. I'm determined that summer is here, no matter what the weather does!

5. Cook something: We didn't eat out this week at all. Big deal around here. I've started a list of the baked goods I want to make for the farmer's market in August.


6. Manage your reserves: Nothing really here. I thought about starting a compost pile, does that count? That's my goal for this week.

7. Work on local food systems: I talked to two neighbors about my garden, and offered left over seeds to one.

8. Health: I bought a new scale this week, as the old one went wonky. Lost two pounds. Got all of the kids out helping me in the garden, and Kevin, too.

No comments: