Sunday, June 8, 2008

Wooo...Garden!

I am coming out of my skin with excitement. For real. Yes, it doesn't take much to excite me. But--

Kevin went and bought the supplies to build me a raised bed. See? Exciting!

The bed is made of cinder block and filled with good, rich soil. I filled in all the holes of the cinder blocks, as well as five tires I've collected to use as planters.

The pumpkins I planted out last week are completely dead. That made me want to cry. But all the other seedlings I've started finally have a home. That's several tomato plants, four sweet peppers, four eggplants, three green beans (I'm not convinced these will transplant. We'll see!), four zucchini, four broccoli, four watermelon, and eight cabbage.

I have a bunch of seeds to plant out as well. A lot of medicinal herbs, radishes, carrots, beets, cantaloupe, brussels sprouts, green onions, lettuces, winter squash, and peas.

I want to build another raised bed if we can get the money together, so that I can have a three sisters garden. I have the corn, bean, and squash seeds, just need the space to put them.

I would love to have a salsa garden as well.

Last week, at the thrift store, I picked up a big box of pots for a buck. I got six big pots at a thrift in Las Vegas last time I was there for a quarter each. I'm going to plant those as well. I know I want to put the cherry tomatoes in pots. And herbs.

Right this minute, I have an empty canvas out there--just waiting for my green thumb. Oh, yeah. And the sun. It's supposed to be 29 degrees overnight on Wednesday. *sigh*

I'm going to get the cold weather seeds in anyway. Hold off on transplanting until after I come home from Las Vegas at the end of the month. The seedlings will hold two more weeks.

No comments: