Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Delicious, and Frugal, Too

I gave myself this book for my birthday. I was delighted to find a recipe inside that I ate often the summer I spent in Costa Rica.

I met Belerma in the first grade and we were inseparable through elementary and middle school. The summer that we were thirteen, Bele was going to visit her mother, who still lived in Costa Rica. Amazingly, when we asked my dad if I could go with her he said yes. I spent the whole summer there and it changed my life.

A staple food that I came to really love was Pintos Gallo, or Painted Rooster. A simple black beans and rice dish that Bele's mother made several times a week.

I found the recipe in The Extended Table, and even though it said it came from Nicaragua, I knew it was the same food I ate in Costa Rica. I made it my own and have been making it for my vegetarian daughter the last couple of weeks. Enjoy!

Pintos Gallo

One 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
One 15 ounce can corn, drained
One medium white onion, chopped
Two tablespoons olive or canola oil
One cup white rice
Two cups water
One cup prepared salsa

Prepare the rice in the water. (I've been using white rice because it's what I have, but I'm going to try brown rice soon.)

While the rice is steaming, heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions. Cook until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the beans and the corn and saute until the pan drys out a little. The beans will break down some and turn nice and soft. I usually season the beans and corn and onions with a little garlic, salt, pepper and chili powder.

When the rice is cooked, add to the pan with the beans. Combine throughly.

Minus the corn, this is traditional Pintos Gallos. We like to stir in a cup of salsa to give it a moister texture and a more "Spanish rice" taste.

Serve in bowls topped with shredded cheese, shredded cabbage and sour cream. Adrienne makes burritos out of hers, but I don't need the extra calories from the tortillas.

This dish reheats really well. Moisture from the salsa keeps the rice from drying out while stored in the fridge. It almost tastes better for lunch the next day.

No comments: