Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving, and my favorite side dish recipe

Just in case I don't get the chance tomorrow, I wanted to take a minute to wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving!

We're eating at home tomorrow, then Kevin is going to work and the kids and I are going to Adrienne and Nick's grandparents house for the evening.

Here's our menu:

Turkey
Apple and pecan cornbread stuffing
Sweet potato casserole
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Roasted Brussel's sprouts
Gulliver's corn
Rolls

And my favorite. I make it every year, even though I'm the only one who eats it. Luckily it's pickled so it lasts a while in the fridge and it ages well.

Red Sauerkraut Salad

1/2 head of red cabbage, cored and julienned
1/2 onion chopped fine
1 jalapeno chopped fine
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
generous pinch cinnamon
2 t. salt
1 t. horseradish
1 T. whole grain mustard
1/2 cup water
Blue cheese (the cheese, not the dressing)
Walnuts, chopped

Put everything in a heavy pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for an hour. Let cool completely and then drain. Mix in walnuts and crumbled blue cheese to your liking. I like a lot of both!

It might sound weird, but I swear it's addictive! It's fabulous with left overs, too.

No comments: