Monday, December 17, 2007

Battle Lost, But Not The War

I just logged onto the computer program that manages my substitute jobs and notified them that I was sick and can't work at the middle school tomorrow.

I worked at the middle school today. It was shocking, and I don't shock easily. The kids were blatantly rude and loud and disruptive. The first period that I taught it took me fifteen minutes to take the roll for twenty or so students and I had to send SIX kids to the office. We finally managed to get through a third of the work the teacher left, when the kids came trouping back in saying the vice principal sent them back. Nice support there, Mrs. M.

I haven't ever experienced anything like that. No wonder Nick wasn't able to manage his behavior. All I could think, all day long, was thank God he isn't here anymore. What a nightmare.

Part of me wanted to go in tomorrow and show them that they can't beat me. But I keep remembering someone in that first period class asking if I was coming in for the science teacher today, and then a good half of the class cheering and all but rubbing their hands together sinisterly. Then the same thing happened in the next period. The last period was sixth grade and they have a different teacher. Funny thing is, that class was my reprieve. They are still young enough and close enough to elementary school to quiet down when the teacher raises her hand in the air. I flipped off the lights in the first period and they actually laughed at me.

So they win. This time.

P.S. After only three weeks as a sub, my mind if made up. I do NOT want to be a teacher.

No comments: