Friday, December 21, 2007

Books

Well, I sold a bunch of books on Amazon meaning to make some extra money. But did you know that you can set it up so that instead of money you get an Amazon gift certificate? So guess what I've been getting instead of cash. BOOKS!

I'm not sure why I'm such a bookaholic. I just am. My favorite store on the planet is called Acres of Books, in Long Beach. When I was a little girl my dad used to let me go to downtown Long Beach to work with him. I'd spend a couple of hours doing his filing or whatever and then he'd give me $20 and send me to Acres of Books. It was two stories of used books, some of them going back to the stores opening in the 20s. The place was magic to me. I can still smell it. I can remember believing that somewhere in that place might be a book like in the Never Ending Story, or that book whose name I can't remember about the kids who find a book that only lets them read it one page at a time. Some sort of magical book that had been sitting there for fifty years waiting just for me.

The point is, I love books. And I've bought a BUNCH of them with my Amazon money. Some homeschooling books, some are just for me. I'd like to start a list of books that I read in 2008 with reviews. Hardly anyone is reading my site yet, so it's mostly just a list for me. I think I'll start with some that I've read in the past month or so.

What I'd really love to do is start an online book club for people who think like me. Books about the world and our country and the insane things that are going. Environmental issues, economic issues, educational issues. Anyone want to join me?

No comments: