Friday, December 21, 2007

School

I just ordered my books for next semester. They have to be shipped and because I'm not Oprah, I can only afford to buy used books so I'm dependent on Amazon sellers shipping to me in a timely manner. So I order early, just in case.

I had a thought in the shower today. I want to start my own school. A sort of educational co-op where parents teach classes in subjects that interest them or that they are good at. So I might teach Spanish, history and writing. Someone else might teach math and biology. Someone else might teach guitar, auto shop, painting...whatever. Then our kids can sign up for the classes that interest them. It isn't necessary for the teacher to be an expert, just to have an interest and love of the subject. That'll be the had part to convince my prospective teachers of.

Charge $10 per class. So a one-time How To Make Cookies class would cost $10, but an ongoing Algebra class would cost $10 each time it met. And there could be free stuff, too. Like clubs. The $10 fee could be split between the school and the parent teaching the class. Or parents who agree to teach a class could receive free tuition for their own kids (I teach Spanish and Nick gets to learn how to change the oil in a car.)

If I charge a per-family monthly tuition, that would cover expenses and give me a salary. And maybe it would include a certain number of courses. Or maybe, $10 a class with a minimum number of classes necessary. I am not interested in a school where only the affluent can afford to send their children.

It's just a seed of an idea, but it excites me.

No comments: