Sunday, December 2, 2007

The Boy Makes Chili

Friday was my last day as a teacher's aide. I already have three substitute jobs lined up, all at the high school. Monday I'm going in for the band teacher. I know next to nothing about music, but it should be fun anyway. I'll spend three periods at the middle school and one at the high school.

Tomorrow afternoon I have an IEP meeting for Nick at the middle school. I'll be withdrawing him officially. I talked to the principal on Friday and told him that we were going to homeschool. He asked why, but couldn't really muster any argument. I would be shocked to find out that anyone at the school wasn't relieved to see Nick go. He made them work.

Nick made a meal tonight for us. Chicken chili. It was delicious. Here's his recipe (he adapted it from a recipe he got off www.allrecipes.com)

Nick's Chicken Chili

1 pound boneless skinless chicken, cut into bites
2 14 ounce cans white beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 can carrots, drained
1 can whole tomatoes with juice
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T oil
1 T chili powder
2 t oregano
1 t cocoa powder
1 t cumin
1 t paprika
2 t salt
pinch red pepper flakes
pinch black pepper

Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onion and garlic until soft. Put them into your crockpot. Put the chicken in the pan and cook almost through, until golden brown. Put into your crockpot. Add the beans, corn and carrots. Add the tomatoes and juice, cutting up the tomatoes some if desired. Mix in the spices. Cook on high for three or four hours.

No comments: